Every year thousands of pedestrians and cyclists are killed and injured in accidents across the country. If they’ve been victimized through no fault of their own they may have legal rights to be compensated and have their medical bills paid. Rand Spear, Philadelphia’s pedestrian accident attorney Rand Spear , in a recent Google+ hangout says that these accident victims should not give up.
These types of injuries and deaths happen every day.
· About 4,743 pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents in the U.S. and another 76,000 pedestrians were injured in 2012 according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
· They also report that in 2013 more than 900 bicyclists were killed and there was an estimated 494,000 emergency department visits due to bicycle-related injuries.
Accident Attorney Rand Spear represents clients who’ve been injured in all types of accidents but these stand out, he says. “Bicycle and pedestrian accidents are some of the most serious accidents that we handle. You don’t have a car to protect you, “he says, ”It’s usually a serious matter with serious injuries.”
Rand stressed the need to document the accident with a police report, get medical attention for injuries and promptly contact an attorney afterward.
· “You want to get the police to come to the scene even if the defendant leaves and it’s a hit and run. You need a record.”
· “If you need medical assistance call an ambulance to take you to the nearest hospital. Get yourself checked out. Do whatever’s necessary to protect yourself.”
· “You don’t want to give up your right to be compensated and get your medical bills paid because you didn’t promptly contact an attorney.”
Most accidents are covered by at least one insurance policy but Rand Spear says that even if the accident victim doesn’t have car insurance and the driver left the scene, there still could be compensation for the plaintiff. He says there are different sources of possible benefits, “The car that hit you has insurance. There may be a policy in your household you can go after. If neither of those are available or if it’s a hit and run and you don’t know who hit you, both Pennsylvania and New Jersey have set up insurance funds, assigned claims plans, that we routinely bring claims against to collect benefits on behalf of injured victims.”
If you are the victim of a hit and run, Rand Spear says you should call the police. ”You can give a description of the driver, the vehicle, the make, the model. If you know the license tag very often the officer on the scene can tell you who owns that vehicle.”
“Just because someone leaves the scene of an accident doesn’t mean you should give up your rights. Take the necessary action. Call the police. Get to a hospital if you’re injured then promptly call a lawyer to discuss your legal rights.
If you or a loved one were injured as a pedestrian or cyclist call Philadelphia’s pedestrian accident lawyer Rand Spear’s office at 888-373-4LAW. He helps those injured in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
News Provided By: Submit Press Release 123